Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Singing Tips


I try to give general advice during rehearsals when things come up, but in the past, I've posted music theory and singing tips here, and we've had some theory lessons at the beginnings of rehearsals in the past. We like to sing most of all, so I like to give as much time to singing as I can on Monday nights. You can search this blog for singing and music theory, and there are tons of resources on line. 

I recently came across this good article on wikiHow called How to Sing. Follow their advice, check out their "tips and pointers, and your golden voice will be ringing out in no time!"

 It breaks down into 3 sections: 

  1. Setting the Foundation
  2. Healthy Singing Habits
  3. The Attitude

I like that joining a local choir is one of the first things they mention!

  • If you cannot afford a teacher, or do not want the dedication that comes with hiring a professional voice coach, consider joining a local choir.
I also like the illustrations, especially this one about how to pronounce vowels:


Here is a selection of their tips: 

  • Breathe with your stomach. Deeply. Imagine the air isn't even getting into your lungs, but going straight to your stomach. If you have to hit a note you find uncomfortably high, lift your soft pallet, not your chin. Your tongue should be pressed against the backs of your teeth. Your tongue shouldn't be curled up near your throat.
  • Make a refreshing warm drink by mixing warm water with honey, mint leaves and a squeeze of lemon. This will soothe your throat, but try not to drink really hot water as this will hurt your throat instead.
  • Learn to read sheet music. It comes in handy more often then you'd think.
  • The more you practice the more you can control your voice.
  • While singing, always make sure you breathe regularly - not breathing can make your voice sound forced, horrible and may damage your vocal chords.
  • Get in shape. You'll be able to breathe better if you are in good physical health.
  • Sing with all your heart! Passion will often make the voice believable and more emotional.
  • Drink lots of water. It will do many wonderful things for the voice and is also very essential to your body. If you are sick, pineapple juice may clear the throat of phlegm but don't make a habit of anything besides water.
  • Also, press both your lips together to make that brrrrrrrrr sound. When doing this try to go up the scale with notes while making this noise. This helps you practice on keeping your pitch and it helps you produce a more powerful note
  • Lie on your back and hold your breathe. Count to 10 and stay calm until you are ready to sing. You will notice your voice is stronger.
  • Keep your chin pointed slightly down and your pectoral muscles flexed. Most singers lift their chin up to sing with more power,while it only works temporarily. Keeping chin down not only works better but saves your voice.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good content
    I have seen many people who don't consider singing good as a profession.I totally disagree with this type of thinking! I am a school teacher and i teach music to my students.For me the mos beautiful thing on earth is music/singing. In our village internet facility is not that old therefore use of internet is not that common in our village.But i am promoting the use of this technology and giving home task to my students to visit different musical online site and learn from it.Now a days they are learning from this site mymusicshoppe.com/ They are really enjoying doing this task:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for sharing this useful informative for about singing tips for all, so this is the related informative more about Singing for health, Dancing and Playing the music for health you can learn now here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Renate,

    Great article!

    I love what you're doing in your community.

    I was searching for some articles about singing today and I came across your post.

    I noticed that you linked to one of my favorite articles--Wikihow - How to Sing.

    Just wanted to give you a heads up that I created a similar and more thorough article.

    It's like the wiki article, but more in-depth (with 40 exercises and videos) and up to date: https://www.ramseyvoice.com/how-to-sing/

    Might be worth a mention on your page since it's all free.

    Either way, keep up the awesome work!

    Best,

    Matt Ramsey
    Voice Teacher
    ramseyvoice.com

    ReplyDelete