Welcome


Welcome to Renate's Baton. This blog is mostly for and about my choir, The York Region Community Choir.

But, While I'm holding the baton, I'm in charge. So, if I want to talk about other parts of my life, I will. :)

The choir itself is a community and I'm discovering that we have a lot in common with one another besides our love of music and singing.

When I go off on a tangent, there is always a crowd coming along. Join us!

Monday, March 5, 2012

What kind of rest is this?

STOP! YOU'RE UNDER A REST! T-SHIRT


This is all you get for a review this week because I covered rests in my post from last week. To review last week's lesson click here.


So, what's the value of the rest in this joke? Ok, I'll make it easy and give you suggestions:


  1. eighth note
  2. quarter note
  3. half note
  4. whole note

3 comments:

  1. its a quarter rest....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a half rest looks like a top hat and a whole rest looks like an upside down top hat... half rest is fairly obvious and a eigth rest is hard to decscribe... google it!

      Delete
    2. Finally someone answered! Thank you! You're right. It's a quarter rest. See my blog called "Reading Music: How many beats?". You can find it quite easily by going to the right panel box that says "Music Theory Posts". The eighth rest looks a little like a seven.

      Delete